Today is Tiradentes Day, a federal holiday in Brazil. (Joaquim José da Silva Xavier, known as Tiradentes (November 12, 1746–-April 21, 1792, IPA: was a leading member of the Brazilian revolutionary movement known as the Inconfidência Mineira whose aim was full independence from the Portuguese colonial power and to create a Brazilian republic. When the plan was discovered, Tiradentes was arrested, tried and publicly hanged. Since the 19th century he has been considered a national hero of Brazil and patron of the Military Police.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiradentes
Merl and I slept in, and I read a book in bed until 10:00 a.m. - it was heaven! The first "real" sleep in for the last five months. While I was reading "My Name was Mohammad," Merl worked on his last talk to be given on Sunday.
After spending most of the day inside, we decided to take a walk. We found that almost all the stores in town were closed for the holiday - except for the pharmacies and a few artisan shops along the main tourist shopping street. We stopped at the Canela visitors center and browsed through the artisan shop (no pictures allowed, but some really fun crafts for sale there). I found a chicken that I liked, so now I own a chicken (so the grandkids can still call me Grandma Chicken).
David and Ann were home when we arrived back at the apartment. David was holding his Elder's Quorum meeting in the kitchen. A little later, Merl walk to the church for the SF de Paula Presidency meeting but returned because no one was there and he didn't have the key to get in. After getting the key, he returned to the church. He met the Branch presidency there, and they opted to come back to the apartment for their meeting since it would be warmer here - at least we have the oven to heat the kitchen. The church has no way to heat it - and it was cold tonight.
The best place to get warm is under the covers in bed. . . so that is where we ended the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment