May 7, 2015

Sunday in SF de Paula

April 19  Sunday

It was easy to slip back into our normal routine after being away.  Merl and I caught the bus to SF de Paula; an hour later we arrived at the church and found the doors open and everyone in their places. 
Church was open and everyone in their places.  Priesthood leaders, along with the Relief Society, Young Women, and Primary presidents were ready to start their opening meetings.  What a great way to start the day!  It felt good to be back with these good saints. . .

I had been asked to speak in Sacrament meeting, and I had prepared a talk and a special musical number on the theme of "I am a Child of God."  After traveling to several different countries around the world lately and meeting so many good people, it is good to know that we are all children of the same Heavenly Father.  We have many differences, but we basically want the same things in our lives and we are good people.  We are eternal brothers and sisters, and we hope to return to serve with these wonderful Brazilian people again someday.

After church, I passed out the little candy sacks to each of the youth; many came back and wanted one for another family member that had not been to church that day.  Many adults wanted to try the new candy, too - good thing I had made 75 bags.

I invited a few of the young men who had not gone home yet to have their pictures taken.  Most of them love to be photographed.  I wanted to have some pictures showing them in their new white shirts sent by very generous family and friends at home in the U.S.  They are proud to be able to participate in Sacrament meetings.  They light up with such exuberance as they walk out of the Branch President's office in their own white shirts and ties - it has been humbling to watch.  These pictures are of just a few of the recent converts in the Branch - we pray that they remain strong and true.

We shared a big jar of peanut butter and bags of candy with the four missionaries serving in SF de Paula.  Peanut butter is a big hit with the missionaries - even if they have never tried it before.  We then caught a ride back to Canela.

Ann had stayed home from church today.  She is having a hard time getting enough sleep and fighting off her frequent bouts of cold and flu.  We had visitors at the apartment this afternoon.  First, the four Canela missionaries came to review some paperwork with David and to visit.  They received their gifts of peanut butter, twizzlers, and bags of candy. They all seemed thrilled with the gifts.  Elder Oliveira especially liked the Sour Patch Kids - and Elder Sheridan immediately opened his jar of peanut butter and began eating it. 

 Later, Eduardo and Arsteo and Meri paid a visit.  We are going to miss them so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment