May 30, 2015

Last Sunday in Brazil

This has been a week of "lasts." Merl and David were up early this morning and on the bus before 6:30 a.m. - High Council meeting in Gramado. . . their last meeting with the District.  I caught the bus to SF de Paula (with lots of library materials) and rode by myself this morning. No one was at the church when I arrived, but soon the bus and the missionaries came. 

Merl got a ride to church with acting District President Caio and his daughter Clara.  Merl was the main speaker in Sacrament meeting (topic).  I sat in the back with the youth.  During the intermediate hymn, Clara came to me saying that her father asked  if I would bear my testimony and say my goodbyes (with Clara assisting since she speaks very good English).  David had warned me that this would probably happen, so I had prepared a little something in Portuguese.  I did get through it (with a little emotion).  Saying goodbye to these good people, not knowing what the future was really going to bring, is difficult.  We continue to say, "we will be back - just don't know exactly when."

We rode back to Canela with President Caio and Clara.  Clara will be graduating from "high school" this year and hopes to go to BYU in Provo.  She asked us to pray for her success in completing that application for acceptance to school.  We promised her that we would. 
 
When we arrived home, we were informed that the Hortencia Branch had planned a goodbye Cha (tea) party at 4:00 p.m. Several members came to say goodbye, bringing traditional pasties and cakes.  A huge (and I mean huge) pot of apple tea sat in the center of the table.  The sisters have a way of blending fruit with citric tree leaves, herbs, and spices to make a wonderful smelling and tasting drink.  We all visited, sipping our tea and eating our delicacies.

Janice sang a beautiful Portuguese goodbye song that was very touching.  She has been such a good friend to us - and an inspiration.  She also made Ann and I a quilted runner with a temple applique. 
 Janice sang us a goodbye song and gave us a table piece – quilted runner with a temple applique.

Later that evening, the Kellers came by to pick up the things we were leaving them to store for us (dishes, pots/pans, appliances, bedding, drying racks).  That helped us feel like we will be returning.  We also had other visitors stop by to say goodbye - Meri and Aristeau, Bro. and Sis. Copa, Pres. Marcos and Saionara Milkiewicz - all special friends - tears and hugs.

Only one more day - a very restless night ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment