Apr 1, 2015

Mail Delivery and Slow Tuesday

March 31  Tuesday

The weather has been a bit "iffy" the last few days, but Merl had faith and did some laundry.  It didn't rain, but the high humidity kept things from drying.  So again, everything was brought inside for the night.  The fan continues to work as a clothes dryer.

He must have been feeling a bit domestic because he also fixed breakfast for him and David; Ann and I had a big bowl of oatmeal - the guys won't touch it.  Being the last day of the month, he also sent emails to his home teaching families back in Idaho.  I worked on necklaces. . .

After  lunch, Merl and I went to town for batteries for our luggage weigher and computer mouse - also a tube of toothpaste.  While we were out - and it hadn't really rained yet, we did a little shopping for hat orders and some long sleeve shirts/sweaters for me.  I would have never thought I would need a sweater in Brazil.

Interesting flower on a tree
While we were in and out of shops, we repeatedly passed a man with a box of pastels and mini-pizzas who was selling to people working in the stores.  We waited for him to come out onto the street to talk to him and perhaps purchase something.  I thought the little pizzas looked good and asked if the pasteis were frango or carne. . . he looked through them and in a little broken English, he said they were carney and . . . he couldn't think of the word.  He sang a little off-tune song followed by 'beep beep."  He did it a few times, and then I caught it. . . the Popeye song (I'm Popeye the sailer man - beep beep).  The pasteis were spinach - and after eating one, it was delicious.  We find so many ways to communicate here!

It was getting dark, and I realized I was supposed to be at the church for a piano lesson at 6:30 p.m.  It was 6:31 when I asked Merl for the time.  I gave him our packages and I ran to the church - uphill - as quickly as I could, only to find out that Larissa had called saying she wouldn't be there tonight.  At least I got some good cardio in for the day.  David said he found another package delivery notice in the mailbox today - and he was home all day.  He had it and said he would give it to Rodrigos for help again.  I walked back home and Merl left for his Branch Council meeting.

When Merl arrived home, he came with a box that Rodrigos had intercepted at the post office.  Contents said:  missionary supplies, pamphlet, stationary, envelopes.  Those items were in the box along with 15 white shirts and ties.  Our North Carolina Missionary mom had mailed a box to us to see how long it would take to arrive and if we would have to pay to pick it up.  Another blessing from Heaven!



No comments:

Post a Comment