April 3 Friday
We woke to another beautiful Brazilian day. We hurried and did some laundry and did some work around the apartment so we would have time to enjoy the day - with Fall here now, these perfect days may become hard to come by.


I talked Merl into walking to the Páscoa Fiera (Easter bazaar) - way up the hill. The last time we went that direction was in December when we went to the Natal Fiera - in the pouring rain. Today the sun was warm and bright. We found some of the same merchants displaying their goods that were here in December. Our attention was attracted to different things this time - baby clothes for Autumn's expected baby in June and Amethyst inspired creations (loved the gems we saw at the Tomasini Mine).


We enjoyed the walk, even though some of it was strenuous. We still - after over four months - marvel at the beautiful trees, bushes, and flowers.


I have been watching a little tomato planted in front of a commercial building on the corner at the top of our hill. It hasn't been doing so well. . . I am guessing that it gets too much water, and now it is getting cooler. No ripe tomatoes this year.
I decided I wanted to learn how to make bookmarks like Ann has been doing - bobbin lace style. I started my first one this afternoon. I may never progress further than bookmarks, but it a new skill I can bring home from Brazil. When we go to Florinopolis, we will try to find the woman (or another like her) that inspired Ann to learn the technique (archived photo from previous trip).
 |
| Meri, Aristeu, Nataly Menezes |
Aristeu picked us up early evening to have jantar (dinner) with his family. Meri has the reputation of being one of the best cooks in the branch. She is a supervisor at Daupers - the company that makes our favorite cookies. She did not disappoint tonight! She made
two giant homemade focaccia bread pizzas with a bib lettuce salad with diced peppers and onions. Dessert was a custard filled, layered cake with "mountain peak" frosting. Heavenly!
Aristeu showed us a belt buckle with the baptism symbol he received while on his mission several years ago. He then took his home - which was good as they live over, around, up, and down the hills from our apartment.
No comments:
Post a Comment