February 7 SaturdayToday is going to be a long day - I knew it as soon as we climbed out of bed. Merl and I were to be at the church at 8:00 a.m. to help with setting up tents for inspection and washing cars to raise fund for the youth camp. The weather looked a little iffy for washing cars, but there were several youth and a few leaders waiting at the church. They met in a classroom and started the fund raising activity with an opening song and prayer. Then out to the parking lot with the hope that cars would come. The church is on the corner of an intersection at the top of a hill. All four directions from the corner go down a steep grade - not a well traveled area.
Initially, the only cars at the church belonged to the leaders (two). We set up a couple of tents, one with broken folding poles. I was sent to our papelaria store to find some items to fix/reinforce the poles. I looked words in the dictionary so I could request 'formidável cola' (super + glue). I got a strange look when I said these words, so I wrote them on a piece of paper. "Oh, Super Bonder!" was the response. That was the brand name of what I was looking for. I also got a roll of duct tape since we can't fix anything without duct tape. Right?
When I returned, I found several girls playing vôlei (volleyball) with Merl demonstrating some of the finer points of the game (played in a circle). They were having a great time. Today there were lots of youth with little work - at previous fund raising activities there has been lots of work and few youth to do it. The camp starts in a week, so time is getting short. This year, our church youth groups in the District are going to a very nice park, Fazenda Sonho Meu (My Dream Farm) with facilities for camping, sport activities, meetings, prepared meals, etc. - all inclusive for 370 reis per person for four days - very expensive for most people here. http://www.fazendasonhomeu.com.br/
Throughout Brazil, youth camps (for LDS groups and many other Protestant churches) are held during Carnival. The purpose is to get the youth off the streets and protect them from the "bad" influence of the holiday. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Carnival
| Elders Munoz and Lagos with Vanessa |
Lunch was prepared at the church for everyone (beans and rice). I was sent to call everyone in - and I used a new word from our recent Portuguese lesson, Almoço pronto (lunch is ready now). I left without learning if the signs were helpful in bringing in more cars during the afternoon. It was a fun event. I stopped at a store to purchase satin ribbon to finish off the handle of the bride's bouquet. Then home to finish it, take a shower, and get ready to go to the wedding.
| Proud missionaries |
| Edson and Carina |
David Keller, a member of the Branch, is a professional photographer, and he took pictures (lots) as his family's gift for the couple. The original plan was for Edson and Carina along with their daughter, Aline, to be baptized that night. It was too late, and the decision was made to have the baptism tomorrow, on Sunday. Cintia (daughter) had previously been baptized and Rekelmy is 7 years old. Carina expressed to me that she loved the flowers. Whew!
| Carina with mother, siblings, and son |
| Miss my grandbabies! |
| Patricia, Gilmar's daughter, and her daughter, above |
I think we are always the last ones out of the church after any event. Floors needed to be swept and mopped and chairs set up for meetings in the morning. Several faithful members stay to help, but David does the last inspection and locks the doors. Tonight, Pres. Anderson and family stayed and walked out with us to their car. Their son, Tiago, didn't want to get in the car, so we took his hands and started our walk home. He waved good-bye to his parents and didn't look back. We were half-way home before his family pulled up at the side of road to pick him up. He is a cutie!
It was a relief to fall into bed. Merl and David need to leave for the bus at 6:15 in the morning to go to Gramado for a High Council meeting.
| Walking home with Tiago |
| One of my best friends, Janice, and me |
No comments:
Post a Comment