February 11 Wednesday


We awoke this morning to what looked like a beautiful day. Slowly a dense fog came rolling in until we could hardly see across the street. Merl had a meeting with Pres. Anderson at 9:00 a.m. to discuss finances of the upcoming camp. Merl paid the fee for both of us and a donation to support the cost of other youth. Most of his day was spent in preparing and working on another "discourso" for church on Feb. 22 while I prepared materials to take to the church for piano lessons..
We caught the bus to São Francisco de Paulo at 3:30 p.m. We met Eduarda (from the Hortencia Branch) who was also going there to meet the missionaries to go visit her grandfather. It takes almost an hour by bus, and when we arrived the missionaries were waiting for her. Elder Rebeira had his new companion, Elder Gallardo, who is from Chile. They told us that they had 10 new piano students coming for lessons today. I tried to confirm whether they were joking or not, but didn't get a straight answer. Students were scheduled to start arriving at 6:30 p.m.

The bus stop is on the same corner as the church, so it didn't take us long to get the front doors open and go around to open windows to let some light and air in. I started to collect the trash when two girls (Monica and Vanessa Rosa) came for piano lessons - their first. Several more came over the next hour, so Merl gave 5 lessons, and I gave 7. . . others practiced on the dummy keyboard (no sound) to keep as many practicing as possible. We were only planning on 6 students, but we doubled that. As of today, our students are Paulo Henrique, Juliana Armaral, Luan Costa, Vanessa Jasmin Prates, Cassiane Canaele and Natanaele Celestinas da Silva, Kanão Jardel da Silva Bitencourt, Iuri Linck Dos Santos,Vanessa Dos Santos Rosa, Monica Dos Santos Bourscheid, Vanderson Linck de Jesus, and Ederson da Silva. I think I know why everyone seems to only go by their first names; their last names are too long. We ran out of the laminated keyboards (only made 8), so I promised to bring more next week. In the middle of one of the lessons, I ran down to the local Papelaría loja to make copies of some pages of the music book to send home with the students.


Presidente Marcos conducted the Integration meeting - discussion on the upcoming camp. After the meeting Rodrigo mounted the bulletin board in the Primary room so I could add the children's pictures. I put a sign on the door to identify the Primary room. Rodrigo He also covered the broken glass on the back sliding door with cardboard. After all the children were delivered to their homes, we got a ride back to Canela with Rodrigo and Danubia - arrived at 11:30 p.m.
David was waiting up for us. Ann had gone to a Relief Society meeting that evening and learned how the Sisters can their vegetables. Vegetables are placed in jars (like reused pickle jars with the one-piece lids) and filled with a vinegar water solution; The jars are then placed in big pots of water to be heated - open kettle with no lid. She enjoyed the class and was in bed when we got home.

No comments:
Post a Comment