Feb 4, 2015

Saturday

January 31  Saturday


A couple of days ago, Ann received a phone call from Sister Wright, wife of the Mission President, asking if they and the MTC President and his wife from São Paulo, President and Sister Swensen, could join us for lunch on Sunday.  That evening they were on the program for a fireside in Gramado.  Of course, Ann said yes - we were exciting for the opportunity to meet the Swensens, and we already love the Wrights.   Some of today's focus was changed to prepare for this.

I decided to clean out one of the cupboards that is open; I have had trouble finding things spread out in the corner cupboard (all of the loose bags and containers of spices.  Having no storage container,  I looked around for something that we could use (has become known as Idaho ingenuity around here).  I sorted through the cereal boxes to find an almost empty one that could be cut down into a small box and came across a box with a candy bar wrapper stuck to the back.  Further inspection showed that it had been taped to the box.  Ann and I couldn't figure out  why until I pulled out the full box with a scantly clad women on the back.  Ann was sure David had covered the model since he historically has done things like that - but this time it was Merl. . . he is the one that eats most of the cereal. 

David recently taped a piece of paper over a word on a calendar page.  It said, "If all is not lost, where the heck is it?"  One day, Elder Piccini asked what heck means, and Ann beat around the bush trying to explain it and why it wasn't a good word for him to learn.  To avoid future questions from these inquisitive Elders who are trying to learn English, David thought it best to cover it up. 

The dinner appointment necessitated all four of us to make a trip to the grocery store to carry back the load.  We needed to purchase a bag of flour to make rolls.   Ann likes to rebag the groceries equalizing the load.   On the menu was Grandma Egbert's Kentucky Fried Chicken (baked not fried), vegetable casserole, dinner rolls, tossed salad, and maracuja mousse for dessert. It has rained every afternoon this week, but the heavens held on to the moisture today just long enough for us to get back home. 

 I have tried over the last couple of months to get a picture that visually captures how steep the hill is that leads to everywhere we go.  I thought this one was my best attempt so far.  When the sidewalk is wet, we walk carefully so we don't slide down.  Walking up the hill is a major exertion for us 'old' people. 

Ann and I did take time from cleaning and meal preparation to start on our bead project.  Will explain this one later. . .

When we learned of our visitors coming from São Paulo and Porto Alegre, I had Ann ask if they could bring a Casio keyboard (teclado) and a primary music songbook from the temple distribution store.  I would reimburse them for the cost - worth every penny to me.  I was excited when Ann received an email back saying that they had taken care of the request.  We have only one electronic piano in the São Francisco Branch (in the chapel), and nothing for Primary. The teclado will also be most beneficial for piano lessons on Wednesdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment