Feb 27, 2015

Encampamento - Raft Building Dia 3

February 16  Monday (cont.)


The three hiking groups all met up by the lake for lunch - and some good resting time.  The camp kitchen staff prepared and brought lunch for all of us and served from a shelter. 


Joao's wife in center
One of the camp leaders spotted a tiny frog and brought it to Merl to see (the tiniest frog I have ever seen!). He now has been identified as the plant/animal/creature specialist person in the group.  He has been enjoying sharing his knowledge with the young people - and the frog was just the beginning of the afternoon's sharing.



Tiniest frog we have ever seen
While we were eating, the camp staff (guides) started to organize some things in four different spots.  It was evident that they had something big planned for the afternoon activity.  What would you do with barrels, logs, rope, and water?  Build a raft!

Four groups were put together, directed to a pile of materials, and given instructions to make a raft, using only the materials in front of them.  Each group immediately went to their post and tried to put a plan together.  Some of the youth in one team (mostly from Sao Francisco and Canela) asked Merl to help them.  Each of the groups had adult leaders on the team. 

(Merl):  I accepted and then quickly set the poles in the widest distribution for placement of the barrels for stability. We placed the five poles on top of the two end poles which were set to hold the end of the barrels in place. I then showed the youth how to tie lashings and gave them the rope to tie each of the needed lashings.  Each lashing was done by a different person.

We then lashed the ends of  the barrels in place and tied those lashings together to create tightness. We did not place a stick across the middle width between the barrels like the other groups. This allowed a person to sit on each barrel on each side and have maximum rowing stride.  Instead, we used twine lashed to the outside poles and to each of the middle poles that it crossed to stabilize the center of the raft. The other groups used one of the poles to stabilize the center, but that limited the rowing stroke. The youth tied the lashings very well (except for one loose one that I quickly tightened before the time was up). We ended up with a very tight and stable raft.  The rafts needed to be constructed to carry an additional person back to the docking place.  The 'stranded' people on an island included an inactive member, a rebel, a handicapped person, and a xxx (can't remember).

Then disaster struck.  Presidente Nunez switched teams and rafts! The team I was working with ended up with the poorest constructed raft . The barrels were in the center of the raft and the lashings were loose. This upset some of the young men. We could see this raft was totally unstable and probably would not hold up. I commented to them that they now know how 'to' build a raft and how 'not to' build a raft.  We tried to tighten some lashings but there was not time.


They tried to balance they best they could. They did get across the lake the first time, but then the raft completely came apart. All but  one barrel separated so a couple of youth swam the raft back while the others rescued the 'handicap person who didn't have use of legs' - by floating him on his back across the lake to safety. It was one of the leaders that was dragged back across the lake on his back.  He was a good sport and hopefully the young people learned a great lesson about life.  It doesn't always turn out the way you want or expect. One other raft lost a barrel but had three left to keep it afloat.

The raft we built always was first across and back with the rescued persons. I checked it at the end - it was still just as tight as when we built it. The youth did a great job of tying the lashings.

(Later in the week, we were stopped by Pres. Caio who addressed Merl as "The Boy Scout.")   Merl's background in scouting and  education in flora and fauna have won him the recognition of a good boy scout. 

Everyone returned to their tents to get towels and clean clothes for shower time.  We were greeted by a herd of cows eating along the road next to camp.  There are no fences - everything is ala-natural
even a chicken coop and a rooster that helps wake us up in the morning. 


Pres. and Sis. Warthin, Temple President and wife living in Porto Alegre, were invited to speak this evening to the youth.  They arrived shortly before dinner, and Merl and I were asked to play hostess and help them get their dinner and sit with them.  We had a delightful time getting to know them better before they spoke - I am sure it was about the importance of temples and families.  They left immediately after speaking so they didn't get to stay for Merl's Family Home Evening presentation.

On the original printed schedule, the FME was to be around the campfire.  Merl and I took our chairs up to the campground and set things up and waited. . . and waited. . . Something wasn't quite right.
We walked back down to the lodge and found everyone gathering there and preparing to sing the opening song.  I guess someone forgot to tell us (or we didn't understand if they did) that we were meeting in the lodge.  We quickly gathered things together and were ready when the time was turned over to Merl.  (sorry no pictures - camera got misplaced in the shuffle).

(Merl): I spent most of the day Saturday preparing and translating this presentation.  It was based on the article in the January Liahona page 19, "What Will You Choose" by Russell M. Nelson.  I set up two containers with clean water in them (two-liter clear soda bottles with the top portion cut off) on a table. I filled a third container (of the same type) with dirt, and a forth two-liter bottle without the top cut off with clean water. After presenting the theme, I asked them to tell me the things that would make them unclean or unworthy before the Lord.  As each person gave me an answer, I had them come up and put dirt in the first container of clean water.  Then I asked what things make you clean before the Lord.  As they answered, I had them come up and pour  clean water into the second  container of clean water.  I then asked if the dirty water can be made clean.  We then discussed the process of cleansing water.  I had two boys pour the water through a filter into a pan for boiling the water.  Then I compared that to the process of the Atonement.  "What will you choose in life?"  All in all, it went very well. After the talk, they all applauded me, and some even stood up; I'm sure because I gave it in Portuguese and they could understand.  It was certainly a challenge for me and a good growing experience.
Louis

The youth were given time to create some skits/music for the evening activity - I am amazed at how quickly they can put together something so entertaining.  Not sure how or where some of the costumes came into being, but everyone got a good laugh.  Lots of noise, music and laughter - made it a good close for the day. After a group prayer, We all walked to the tents and time for lights out. 








News from Ann on the home front:
Monday, Feb. 16--I washed baptism clothes and mopped and waxed the floors in our apartment.  They sure look a lot nicer.  The Elders called and said they wanted to come to our place to eat.  Sure glad we bought lots of rice and chicken.  We love being able to have and help the missionaries.  After they left, I told them we would be to their apartment in two hours to check for their cleanliness.  They hurried home.   When we arrived they were still madly cleaning.  It looked pretty good, but the stove top still needed to be clean.  This evening I watched the DVD of "Legacy" in English then Portuguese.



No comments:

Post a Comment