Dec 26, 2014

Sunday

December 21 Sunday
Still raining. . .  David had early meetings and then traveled to SFP for their Branch conference.  Merl, Ann, and I walked to church in a light rain with the sun drying out the rain on the cobblestone walks and road.  It was like walking in a sauna – very hard to breathe as we huffed and puffed up the hill.  One of Ann’s students was to play the piano for Sacrament meeting, but had forgotten her simplified hymn book.  Just as the meeting was to start, Ann requested that I play for the meeting. . . I also played a special number as the two of the sisters who were to sing “O Holy Night” were sick.  I played the opening song for Relief Society again and then went to Primary. 

The older primary girls are responsible for leading the singing (no chorister called).  The words to the songs are all written on heavy paper or fabric and hung on the “song rack.”  Some of the songs are memorized, but there are so many newly baptized children that are sometimes there that all the words are printed out for them.  The girls take charge, find the song sheets, and lead the music.  They have to step up to help as there are not enough adults to go around.  Probably a good experience and training ground.
Most of the children taking piano lessons do not have an instrument at  home, so they practice their fingering on a table at home and come to the church to use a piano between breaks.  There are four adults called to serve in the Primary - president, two counselors, secretary, and one teacher who teaches the youngest children.  Additionally, there is a bercario (nursery).

There was another baptism today – a young teenage girl.  I played for the baptism, and then we caught a ride home with Aristeu as it was raining hard.  David was home from the conference when we arrived.
 (Merl) My Sundays at church are quiet. I understand little and say nothing while in classes. I sing the songs as best I can, and I greet people in Portuguese and respond in Portuguese with the few phrases that I have learned.  Saturday I engaged in my first real conversation in broken Portuguese. I guess that is a little progress.

Ann and I fixed a nice lunch, did the dishes, and then it was time to relax.  David had a High Council meeting (his first one) and got home late.  The church leaders here are working hard to put in an application to Salt Lake for a stake and wards to be created here.  The number of Melchizedek Priesthood holders is a bit marginal, but with David and Merl (temporarily here) and a few that have moved here recently or will be moving here soon, they hope it will be successful.  It will require that the District and Branch leaders work together more closely.

No comments:

Post a Comment