December 25 Christmas Morning

We were all awake early morning to prepare dinner and wrap our final gifts. We have been very innovative in finding things around the house to wrap the presents for the missionaries this past week. Yesterday, I finally found a small piece of paper in one of the stores that completed our wrapping. The missionaries brought two chairs and their baking pans to make it possible for us to all have dinner together. Also, a single man from the Branch (Eduardo) joined us.
In addition to the apple pie and chocolate/fudge pie, Ann made banana cookie pie and a strawberry pie. These were all requested by our South American missionaries. We also made a big bowl of maracuja pudding (passion fruit). I think this is my favorite dessert here.

As far as we know, there is no turkey here. Instead, we had baked chicken that turned out great. In addition, we made a huge fruit salad (strawberries, grapes, oranges, mango, banana, melon, pineapple) and tossed green salad. Mashed potatoes and gravy, candied yams, stuffing, and hot rolls completed the dinner. Finding yams/sweet potatoes here was a challenge. I finally found something that was the right shape but the wrong color - called English batatas (potatoes). When I peeled the purplish skin off, the flesh was white - but tasted like yam. After cooking them, they were a nasty color - added pickled winter squash from a jar and a brown sugar sauce. Tasted good but was far from the bright orange color I love. The stuffing was another challenge - no celery or sage seasoning to be found. Instead, I used onion, apple, and grated carrot for the moisture and rosemary, oregano and basil for the seasoning. Turned out quite good if I do say so myself. Yams and stuffing were no dishes for the missionaries, but they seemed to like them.




While dinner was being cooked, the missionaries, David, and Merl had pushup and arm wrestling competitions.

We enjoyed a nice dinner together, opened presents, and visited. Elders Vargas and Piccini stayed to Skype with their families while Elders Lagos and Schiavoni went to the Wizard Langage School (Presedente Anderson).
Eating dessert
Waiting for his turn to Skype.
Opening presents
Talking to his family
Putting together annual puzzle.
Our humble Christmas décor.
The highlight of the day was visiting with most of our children via Skype. I am grateful for technology that allows to both see and hear them. We missed being home with them during this special time of year, but hopefully we are serving a purpose here. Merry Christmas to everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment