The first one to venture out of the apartment today was Ann - she had a hair appointment with Teri Keller at 2:30 p.m. It had been raining most of the day, but cleared up mid afternoon. After Ann left, I got dressed and went to meet Ann at the salon. She took me a pharmacy to find a curling iron - I feel it is hopeless to do anything with my hair - always frizzy due to the humidity.
When we arrived, Ann wrung out her skirt in hopes of not dripping in the house. I learned early on not to wear a long skirt when we were going to be walking in the rain, so I faired a bit better. Sianara is one of the fortunate few that has a clothes dryer, so she tossed some of our clothes into the dryer while we prepared for the ride to Cisco for a pre-meeting before Integration. Grandma kept bringing out shirts, sweaters, and blankets for us, and then she would take them back. This time I hid my camera as she changed all the settings on it last time when we were looking at pictures.
We met in the President's office with Pres. Marcos, his wife Sianara, his daughter Indiane (the only one that speaks some English), and Rodrigo and Danubia Maceba (second counselor and wife - he has been a member for 2 months, her for a little more than one year). With David and Indiana interpreting, branch issues, goals, and needs were discussed. Priesthood leadership training, reverence and attendance are areas of concern. The Branch Clerk is another Rodrigo - 19 year old young man preparing to go on a mission. Due to lack of training and understanding, member records have not been kept up since the Branch was formed 1 1/2 years ago. Pres. Marcos wants to learn and do things right. That is where we have been called to help. Merl and I were asked to speak in Sacrament meeting this Sunday - I told him that I don't even do that at home - in English. He reminded us that he spoke in English (he doesn't speak English) at a fireside we attended when the missionary reunion tour was in Gramado. We remembered that evening well. So, I guess we will take our turn. The plan is for me to teach piano lessons in Canela on Tuesdays and in Cisco on Wednesdays before the Integration meeting. The Branch presidency's meetings will be held in Canela on Tuesday night and after the block of meetings on Sundays. Everyone seems to have faith that our efforts together will produce good results in the 3 1/2 months we have left here. We will pray for miracles.
David gave a talk at the Integration meeting relating our experiences in the maze in Nova Petropolis. He compared that experience of choosing directions, backtracking, and choosing again to our experience in life. Even after reaching the center and looking around, it was difficult to find our way back out. We have been blessed with the Holy Ghost to help us make decisions. When we ask and listen, we will not need to struggle with what direction to go. He kept their attention. Cookies and drink were served.
We toured the other areas of the church seeing what the facilities were like and how to hopefully make things better. Pres. Nunez said he will help all of us in our efforts. Arrived home late, overwhelmed, and exhausted. Really need to get some sleep tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment