Jan 8, 2015

Recuperation Tuesday

January 6  Tuesday

Today (hoje) turned out to be a much needed break from the fast paced schedule of the last week or so.  Laundry was first on the list along with studying for a Portuguese lesson in the afternoon.  Mid-morning two of the missionaries came over to take showers as their apartment building had no water.  The water pressure in our laundry room was also low, so something must have been going on with the city water system. 

We walked to Wizard for our lesson with Camila. The sun was blazing hot (quente) today, and the walk almost more than I could handle.  The temperature is seldom over 80, but the sun is so direct that it feels much hotter.  I learned the phrase today: Eu amo os nuvems - I love the clouds.  Also, a new favorite word is sombra (shade).  We choose to walk on the side of the roads that offers the most shade.  Lesson 3 today introduced two new verbs: trabalhar (to work) and jogar (to play). 

While we were in class, David came to work with Pres. Anderson on the procedure of extending the allowed time in the country from three months to six months.  The original plan was for us to leave the country (probably to Uruguay for a few days) and then re-entering Brazil.  Merl was searching on line and found something that indicated there was a way to fill out paperwork, pay a fee, and "perhaps" get permission to stay longer. D&A will go to Porto Alegre to the Federal Police agency on Thursday to do this.   It would be more fun to fly to Uruguay, put much more expensive. 

A new little flower across the street
from the church
David asked us to go to the church where Ann was teaching piano lessons.  We found all the "sombra" we could, and trudged up the hill to the church.  At least the church was cooler.  Ann was finishing a couple of lessons and had two girls and a mother (Elesebete) in the room.  As she was giving the traditional hugs and kisses, her skirt fell down around her ankles.  Not knowing it had fallen, she took a step and almost tripped over it.  Everyone was laughing so hard they had tears - the little girls thought it was hilarious.  I understand it happened again when Ann was alone in the Primary room.  Later at home, I asked Ann to re-enact it so I could take a picture. . . she didn't oblige.

On our walk home, we took a detour to town to get a few groceries as we had been informed the missionaries would be coming over for waffles that evening.  We didn't have any oil for the waffles or sugar for the syrup.  When we arrived at home, I made some lemonade and we sat out on the balcony in the "sombra" to get some much appreciated rest.  There are hooks just above where we are sitting to hang a hammock - but I haven't found one yet.  We then gathered in the laundry off the clothesline outside.  I love the smell of laundry dried by the sun and breeze; reminds me of when I was young and that was the only way we had to dry clothes.

D&A arrived home, and we made waffles for the missionaries.  They and David are continuing to get the membership records in order.  Quite a process!

It was "quente" in the apartment, so we opened all the windows and let the mosquitoes in.  I designated myself as the swatter while the others worked.  Later that night (thinking that at least the pharmacies would be open), I walked into town to get some insect repellent.  All that was open was the eateries, so I bought a cup of sorvete and walked back home - to find Merl quite ill.  He had a horrible night.

No comments:

Post a Comment