Jan 20, 2015

Saturday Activities

January 17  Saturday

Merl and I worked on our talks most of the morning.  It has been an interesting process of putting a talk together not knowing what the words mean as you read them - let alone pronouncing them correctly.  Our papers are covered with accent marks, underlining, spelling out sounds.  D&A tell us that we are making progress and that we will be understood.  It's frustrating at times. . . but we are still trying.

Ann and I walked to our favorite photo processing center to print a few more photos for the Primary bulletin board.  We also went to a few clothing shops looking for a top to wear with a new skirt a bought here around Christmas time.  I found some nice loose crocheted sweaters, but not a top with sleeves to wear under it.  I don't think anyone here wears sleeves.  We gave up for the day and went home to fix lunch.  Tacos and salad on the menu today.

We were going to study/rest/take a nap after lunch but received a phone call from the missionaries saying they had a baptism that we needed to come help with.  So - up the hill to the church instead of more relaxing activities.  Today the baptism was for a 77 year old man using hand crutches to get around - Luis Alves de Moraes .  He was a fairly large man, and again, it took two missionaries in the font with him to complete the baptism.  The young women were at the church baking their kuchen (sweet bread) to raise money for camp.  They were pulled into the baptism to sing the special musical number (primary song - When I Am Baptized).  I have learned that if you attend a baptism here or are in the church somewhere, you will probably be asked to do something on the spot, whether it is a prayer (which Merl did), give a talk, sing, etc.  I'm glad that I can play the piano - I can do that in any language.  Just be ready and willing - amazing thing is that everyone is!

Ann and I stopped at a pharmacy on our way home to pick up some nail polish remover and new polish.  Ann bought another shade of red, and she picked a lovely shade of blue for me.  I am not used to seeing blue on my fingers, and will probably not paint them blue again.  Anyone interested in a new bottle of blue polish?


When we got home, we found David and Merl at the kitchen table eating slices of cheese and all the treats/snacks from the cupboard.  I guess they won't starve if Ann and I take off for a while.  Ann washed the wet baptism clothes and hung them to dry.  They will be needed tomorrow for more baptisms. 

Last chance studying - we head to Cisco in the morning for church.  Do or die time!

No comments:

Post a Comment