Jan 31, 2015

Portuguese and Piano

January 27  Tuesday

Merl and I started our Portuguese study early this morning since we had our fourth lesson today.  We hadn't finished our homework from lesson three due to talk preparations, busy schedule, and gettling a little sleep once in a while.

The announcement for LDS church leaders to hold a press conference was all over the internet and was to take place during our lesson.  Our interest was peaked.  We walked to Wizard, turned our homework in, reviewed lesson three, and started the next lesson that mostly was a review of the first three lessons, adding vocabulary from all three and forming different sentences.  We learned a few new phrases that were interesting:  Na ponta da língua (on the tip of the tongue), Dar
água na boca (mouth watering. . give water in the mouth), tomar um chá cadeira (drinking tea in chair - meaning 'I spent way too much time waiting').

Phrases that I do understand and appreciate:  Eu acredito em mim (I believe in me).  Eu acredito em meu potenicial (I believe in my potential).  I am sure these are given at this stage because of frustration in learning the language.

We left Wizard and found the sewing notions store.  I found a fabric store earlier last week, but they had no needles or thread.  Today I found the needles and thread store (along with all kinds of yarn) but no fabric.  Interesting. . .  Merl found a pillow that he thought would work for our kitchen chairs - which also double for our chairs at our bedroom desks.  It is working great!  We may have to pick up a couple more.  We also purchased some needles for a bead project Ann and I are working on.

As soon as we got home, Ann ran to the church for piano lessons. I started to fix dinner but had to run to the store to get soy sauce and garlic powder for the spicy chicken wings.  Time got away from me, and half-cooked dinner was left when the rest of us needed to leave for the church.   Merl and David had Branch Presidency meetings (both branches were meeting at the same time in different rooms at the Canela building).  During the planning meeting, Presidente Marcos asked Merl to give another "discourse" on February 8 in Sacrament meeting.  (Therefore, we are fighting for computer time,)  I had five piano lessons (Nataly, Larisa, and Indiane Milkiewicz; Rodrigo Macedo, and Victoria.)  We all arrived back at home around 10:00, finished cooking and eating  dinner, and had the dishes done by 11:45 p.m.   Crazy hour to be eating dinner!


Side notes:


There are no self-serve gas stations around here - don't know if this is for all of Brazil or not.  There are always 3-4 people sitting around on benches between the gas pumps waiting for someone to pull in.  We cut across through this gas station to go almost anywhere in town. 


A big truck was making a lot of noise as it went past our apartment.  It had a load of rebar that was dragging on the cobblestone road behind the truck.  The driver eventually stopped, got out and looked at what was wrong, then got back in the truck and went on his way.  Merl hopes that the rebar will still be long enough for the construction job when they are unloaded.

No comments:

Post a Comment