Jan 13, 2015

New Direction and Challenges

January 11  Sunday
 
Merl and David were called earlier this week to attend a meeting with Pres. Nunez (District President) in Gramado at 7:00 am.  They were up early and off on the bus.  Brief summary from Merl of the happenings that morning:   

Pres. Nunez
"President Nunez (who speaks English well) asked me several personal questions including what kind of work had I been doing, etc. Then he began to tell of the needs of the District and called me to be a High Councilor assigned to the Sao Francisco De Sul Branch.  He explained that a District did not have to have 12 Councilors (if not needed), and they did not need to be High Priests (I am the third, David was the second).  Pres. Nunez is not a High Priest, but an Elder and was the District President.  He asked me to be responsible for the training of the leaders in that branch. This is a newly formed branch with mostly very new members, and no-one knows exactly what they are supposed to do.

Wow! I accepted the call – having very little knowledge of how to accomplish what has just been asked of me.  I have accepted on the faith that the Lord will help me to accomplish what He has asked of me.  First Nephi story of obtaining the plates came to my mind.  I just hope I don’t have to kill anyone to accomplish this assignment.

We then joined the others in the President’s office and he began the Council Meeting.  I understood little of what was said, but David then stopped and told me that President would be speaking with all the Branch Presidents this evening, and in preparing this area to become a stake, the members would need to become a tithing paying people.  He asked for our input on thoughts and ideas that should be presented to the Branch Presidents.  I listened to the others express their ideas, but understood very few words they spoke.  As they spoke I jotted down the feelings that were coming to me on tithing. When my turn came I expressed those thoughts: 1. Because blessings are not always financial, we should give examples in our lives of blessings and strengths that we have received as a result of paying tithing.  2. We should teach the basic truths from the D&C 64.  3. Perhaps the President could seek inspiration from the Lord as to a special promise he could pronounce upon this people if they would obey the law of tithing.  4. The Lord does not need our money; we need the growth that comes from obedience and sacrifice in keeping the law.  5. Parents should teach their children this law by example and precept in the home; they should tell of events that have changed their lives for the better, and that keeping this law opens the door so the Lord can more fully bless us.

 After a minute’s pause, President Nunez thanked me and indicated that what I said was in tune with the Spirit.  I was a bit nervous with perspiration on my forehead, but I was able to participate in a meeting in which I understood very few words of the conversation.

After the meeting, President Nunez took us back to the Canela Chapel in his car. He said he would set me apart after the meetings, which he did. David had not been set apart yet either. He first set me apart and then set David apart. Then David, somewhat in jest and somewhat seriously, told me that I now had seniority because I was set apart first and he second. However, I do not think I will ever have seniority over him nor is it of any importance.

The settings apart were all expressed in Portuguese, so I asked David to write down the words and feelings he could remember during the blessing given to me. The following are his words. “I bless you that you may be able to use your gifts, your experiences, your wisdom to carry forth the Lord’s work here. I bless you that your tongue will be untied (loosened), that people will be able to understand your words and you theirs – that people will feel your love. Know that the love they feel is more important than your words.”
Before he set us apart, he sat in counsel with both Kathlyn and I and explained more of the challenges that we will face in Sao Francisco de Paulo. He especially asked Kathlyn to help organize the music and to select 3-4 individuals with the Branch President that would be suitable to teach them how to play the piano. He told her that she would be set apart by the Branch President. We are both to be his eyes and ears in that new branch and are to send a weekly report to him of status, needs, and challenges.  So, we have our service cut out for us.
 
 I truly feel completely overwhelmed, but I know that I must proceed one step at a time and do the best I can. We step out into the dark and pray the light will go with us. I am burdened with the feeling that there is so much to do and so little time."

I have been very content with our lives here so far, but things are going to change.  We will need to stand on our own now and not depend so much on David and Ann.  Merl keeps telling me that 'we can do hard things.'  Maybe this is the answer to the question asked of me when we first got her (and I didn't have a good answer) - "How is it that you be in this place?"

We had two baptisms today  - one right after Sacrament meeting ( 18 year old Tiago Soeiro Bitencourt).  The second in the evening, Sandra Maria de Souza - mother of two young girls previously baptized (Chayane and Milena).  Sandra is mostly deaf (reads lips) and is afraid of the water.  The baptism did take place after some challenges.  She looked so relieved and happy when it was over.  The Elders were very patient - had two of them in the font with her.

Had a pleasant evening at home, skyped with a couple of the kids, and went to bed.  Tomorrow is going to be another long day!

No comments:

Post a Comment