Yesterday, the missionaries asked us if they were having lunch with us today. Ann was originally scheduled, but Camila asked her to trade with her last week. Camila was supposed to have today. Meal assignments are made and posted on the bulletin board at church; if you can't provide lunch on your assigned day, it is up to you to find a substitute. We made some phone calls this morning and found that Pres. Anderson and Camila are still out of town. They went to the beach last week - it rained most of the time, so they are staying another week. . . so we are doing lunch again today. I had been assigned January 31, so we will trade with Camila again and give her my day. Previous discussions with the missionaries indicated that they really like pizza. . . so that is what we decided to do.
The missionaries arrived as the first pizza was in the oven. We could only cook one at a time so we had a leisurely lunch, visiting and eating salad between each pizza. Each pizza was devoured as soon as it was put on the table. We kept them longer than the usual hour lunch, but they went away quite satisfied.
Elder Oliveira has shown interest in cooking and watches us we use the different kitchen items. He really liked the measuring cups and spoons. I walked to the paper store to get some more contact paper and popcicle sticks; then to the Plastíco lojo. No one speaks English there, so I looked around for a while and couldn't find what I was looking for. When I asked for some help, it was trial and error with me trying to describe something, the clerk finding what she thought I wanted, and not getting anywhere. I knew the word for recipe (receita) and the word for cooking (cozinhando). I pantomimed dipping and stirring. . . and then I thought to say "xicara." That is the word for cup. The clerk went straight to the measuring cups and spoons - both of us delighted that we were successful in finding what I wanted.
On my walk back to the apartment, I went through the city park - still beautiful but seemed to be very empty with all the Christmas houses and decorations now gone.
That evening was the Integration meeting. David gave the spiritual thought on the gifts that we have been given by the Lord. Some things listed by the youth were revelation, gift of the Holy Ghost, TV, internet, scriptures, music, etc. . . The discussion was that we have been given many things in this life - we can use them for good or we can use them for bad. It is our choice as to who we will follow, Jesus Christ or Satan.
No comments:
Post a Comment