Mar 4, 2015

A Day in Porto Alegre



February 19  Thursday

The purpose of our trip to Porto Alegre today was to file a request for a visa extension so that Merl and I could stay in the country until April 27.  Visitor visas only allow 90 days in the country at a time.  We are close to going over our limit and don't want to get into trouble.  No pictures of this place because I didn't want to even chance getting caught by the Federal Police.

(From guest contributor and tour guide for the day, David Egbert)

 We left Canela on the 6AM Executive Bus to Porto Alegre. We all slept most of the way.

At the Rodoviaria, we caught a taxi to the Federal Police Department on Ipiranga Avenue in the Bairro Azenha .  It cost us 12RS.  We were a few minutes early, but when the door opened at to the estrangeiros [strangers or foreigners] area  (9:00 a.m.) many were already in line ahead of us. We got our turn at the counter –Balcão—we were told we now needed to have an appointment, ahead of time—however they would see if they could work us in.  We noticed later a sign there that said they would only take 20 such walk-in appointments per day—a change from last time.  We gave them our paper work and were told to wait with a full waiting area with many others waiting for Brazilian passports.  After a while, a young man brought the passports and another customs document and said we needed to go down the block a short distance to get them copied and come back.  So we did for R$ 0.60.  Then we were told to wait some more.  It wasn’t so bad, at 11:15 a.m. we were given the passports with the new extension for the visas until  09 Jun 2015.



(Me:)  One of the first observations I made is that we are in a big city, with some of the big city issues. People living under the bridge and in the parks.  One man was out dragging debris out of the river that flows through the city.  On the other hand, we found beauty everywhere. . .flowers and trees of all kinds (both pictures of flowering trees on the church grounds.  We also saw a man mowing the grass there with a weed eater - and there was a lot of grass around the building. The police sign made me glad I didn't take pictures of the Federal Headquarters.  They must think they are pretty hot stuff!


Palace of the Police

David):  We then walked a few blocks to the Porto Alegre 2nd Ward building - probably a stake center now.  It is located on the corner of Avenidas Jõao Pessoa and Princesa Isabel.  It has had several additions to the original building.  It was under construction when I left there to come home in May 1964.  I helped make the concrete blocks for it when I served in Porto Alegre earlier in 1963.  I have photos of the blocks being made.  Even today you can see the rows of tall palm trees along the nearby Ave. Jõao Pessoa and also the Ernesto Dornelles Hospital in the background.
 
1:  Soccer game 1963 acr0ss
from construction site
 

Photo 2
Photo 3












4:  Sand and finished blocks



 
Photo 2: Joaquim Nogeira, Frederico Blind, Elder Charles Tolson [my companion], Waldemar Cesar, Alexandrew Wojtecjazk : Tray 1 Slide 38.  The wooden building on the left was a temporary chapel for the 2nd Branch while the building was being constructed.   The machine to make the blocks and the drying rackshooaquim Nogeira, Frederico Blind, Elder Charles Tolson [my companion], Waldemar Cesar, Alexandrew Wojtecjazk : Tray 1 Slide 38.  The wooden building on the left was a temporary chapel for the 2nd Branch while the building was being constructed.   The machine to make the blocks and the drying racks

Photo 3: Unloading the new blocks and laying them out to cure in the sun. Waldemar Cesar-Azevedo Sodré ,RGS; José Antonio Ribeiro
After leaving the 2nd ward chapel we walked back along Ave. João Pessoa towards the Parque  Farropilha and the Santa Casa Hospital at the end of the park - a distance of 12-15 blocks.  It was plenty warm, but we stayed in the shade as much as possible.  The walk thru the park was shady.  We met a guy from Três Coroas that wanted to sell us a CD, but he talked so fast I could hardly keep up with his trend of thought.  He seemed to be a new-age transcendentalist (or some unusual philosophy) trying to be good to all the world.


When we got to the hospital, we saw a sign for a restaurant in it; so we ate a good lunch there and it was air conditioned.  The servings were large and tasty.  I even took a photo of a nurse in her whites-but the levis under her smock were all “holely’ like the faddy jeans—maybe it was required  because of the name of the hospital (Santa Casa - Holy House).
Me):  One thing that caught my interest was on our walk to the hospital - a building called Centro de Saude Modelo (Vacinas).  Under the sign was an herb garden with the various herbs labeled - must mean that it is the model for health and (vaccines).
There were lots of street venders, and if it was not so hot and we had more time, I saw things I was interested in.  Maybe next time. .

(David):  After lunch we caught a taxi to the local Municipal Mercado with all kinds of foods, artwork, and merchandise—from salted fish, cheese, sausage, and candy to local artisans and gaucho shops.  We walked around one end, and Ann and Kathlyn bought some crafts made of natural materials.  Later we found the Arcor Maracujá candy Ann has been searching for and bought six 750 mg bags to lug around.
 
Merl also purchased a boleadeira at one of the gaúcho shops (he is really getting into this gaúcho stuff). http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boleadeira


(Me): Although there was so much to see - beautiful handicrafts and fruits and vegetables, the smell of the meats hanging and on display was more than Ann and I could handle.  It probably saved us the guys a lot of $R. 
(David):  We  caught a taxi to the Pedro’s Peças—a shop where I bought a replacement glass cover for the gas range in the apartment  - Kathlyn will have to tell you the stories—if she will .
 
We asked the taxi to wait for me to pick it up.  The first place I went, they told me to go next door  there, they told me I needed to go to the place next, next door.  Finally they found the part I needed, and we went on to the temple.  The taxi was R$38.

At the temple we were a half hour to 45 min early for the 3:00 p.m. session.  So Ann took a nap on the couch in the waiting room.  Merl,  Kathlyn, and I took photos around the outside of the temple—lots of  Birds of Paradise flowers.
  
Evanderson (in wheel chair)
When we returned, I went into the temple recorder, Ismael, and he printed off a name I had reserved a year or so before for a local member to do the work; he decided not to do so.  I asked Ismael if I could do the initiatory now and still be in time for the Endowment session.  They hestitated for a bit; then Elder Leavett said yes, but let us hurry.  We did it.  I had the great pleasure of taking the name of Evanderson Quadros da Rosa thru the temple.  I had baptized him in Sep 2011 after helping the Sisters Cidre, ….. teach him and his father and other members of his family.  His father couldn’t quit smoking, and the others were not motivated yet.  Evanderson had serious health problems—a whole other story.  He died Feb 18, 2012 ,at about age 39.  I conducted his funeral on the day following—when all the local leadership were at youth camp about an hour away from Canela.  I was glad to have the District President, David Keller, return to help out with the arrangements.

The session was particularly enjoyable as Ann and I were the witness couple and we enjoyed knowing of the great blessings Evanderson would now have.  He always wanted to preach the gospel he quickly learned to love.  Now he is an Elder and Endowed.  I am sure he has waited long enough.
 
(Me):  We stopped at the Distribution Center on the temple grounds looking for piano lesson books we are using to teach from.  The only had the simplified hymn book - which I purchased.  I also found some videos to start a library at the SF de Paula Branch - I hope we actually get one going.  Also, several Liahona magazines in Portuguese will give us something to read at home.
 
(David):  After the session at the temple, Elder and Sister Leavitt finished their shift and walked with us to the bus stop—not a short walk.  We caught the bus back to the Rodoviaria and bought our tickets and came home tired and sleepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment