March 21 Saturday

We listened to the rain and thunder during the early hours of this morning - probably rained all night. Ann was up early to put the first lasagna in the oven. Pres. Copa came at 8:45 to pick up us and all our stuff for the Relief Society Birthday Celebration (Socciodade de Socorro - or fondly known as Socci). We were the first to arrive at the church to help get things ready for the day.
 |
| Crochet table |

Each of the Branches volunteered to have an activity for the sisters to participate in. Ann was responsible for the Hortencia Branch activity - painting plaques and applying vinyl lettering. We prepared the paint stations and the check in table. I helped in the kitchen receiving food and getting lasagnas cooked or reheated. Other activities included crocheting, zumba, cake making, and exercising.
 |
| Crochet teacher, Laura Saratt |


I spent most of my time helping with the plaques, but some beautiful crocheted pieces caught my eye. I approached the teacher, Laura Saratt from the Taquara Branch, and said, "Voce vende?" She said, "Sim." I said, "Eu compro?" She said, "Sim." I am now the proud owner of this beautiful shawl, table runner, etc. I think it is well worth the R$95 I paid for it - hand made in Brazil, my favorite thing right now. Later, another sister from Nova Petropolis (I believe) gave me a cloth bag with crocheted edging.


Lunch was amazing with 15+ pans of lasagna to choose from, salads, and rolls. Dessert was cake and ice cream. The new Hortencia Branch Relief Society president, Irani Diaz, made a beautiful cake - and it was even more delicious than it was beautiful.


We all joined in the chapel for a song and a talk given by Sister Copa, missionary and District Relief Society President. I wish I had my camera handy (I was playing the piano) when Sister Copa had all the sisters lead and sing the song "Irmãs em Sião" with her, all 70+ strong. Her theme this year is "No Sister Left Behind." To be honest, everything turned out much better than I expected. All the sisters came through with their assignments, and it was evident that they all had a great time being together.
 |
| Fabricio and Gislaine Correa |


After the meeting, I made an emergency run back to the flower shop to pick up additional flowers for the wedding. Sister Marli Bernardes (RS Counselor) informed me that the bride would like flowers in her hair - and there are three children. I thought I should probably should make something for them, too. I worked on the flowers and then got ready to go to the church. Wedding was scheduled for 8:00 p.m. with a baptism at 9:00 p.m. I was asked to play prelude again. . . this time I thought I would wait until things were really about to start. It didn't work! The bride came late and didn't enter the chapel with Elder Cooper until 9:00 p.m.

The wedding took place with the family all present. Sister Irani made the cake and all the pasteis - she is amazing! There was plenty for everyone to eat and enjoy.
The daughter of Fabricio and Gislaine Correa had been baptized earlier in Caixias by Elder Floriani (who now serves in Novo Metropolis). Gislaine had asked him to baptize her. It was very late when the wedding festivities were over, and it was recommended that the baptism be done Sunday after church. Gislaine didn't want to wait, so the baptism took place around 10:30 p.m. She was radiant after her baptism, and we all enjoyed the song "Families Can Be Together Forever" sung by the missionaries and Pres. Anderson. It was very powerful. Now Fabricio needs to get himself ready to make it all happen.
No comments:
Post a Comment