Mar 25, 2015

Branch Conference in São Francisco de Paula

March 22  Sunday

Today is Branch Conference in SF de Paula.  Instead of taking the bus, Pres. Caio (acting District President) along with Sister Copa said they would pick us up at 8:15 a.m. to drive to church.  They arrived after 8:30 a.m.; and after a fast drive, we arrived at the church six minutes late.  Being late is the last thing we wanted to be, but it was thrilling to find leaders in their places - in all the organizations.  Merl set up the teclado in the Primary room, and we were on our way.  We were pleased to see many of the youth in their classes. 

It was quite chilly in the church, and there is no heating system (except a big fireplace in one room - which won't be used).  Everyone had on sweaters and jackets. . . I am told that during the winter, everyone wears several layers and coats throughout the whole meeting time. 

Pres. Borba from the Mission Presidency presided at the Sacrament meeting and spoke along with Pres. Marcos.  Three young people were confirmed.  After the meeting, Pres. Borba called a meeting of all the leaders and talked about the strength of the Branch and the spirit he felt that day (and many other things we didn't understand).  He announced that next week an additional set of missionaries would be coming to SF de Paula.  There is much work to be done in the area. 

Efforts are being made to make our District into a Stake - before we leave to come home. After the council meeting, I asked Pres. Borba what the prospects were of building a chapel in SF.  We have seriously outgrown the current building, and there is nothing bigger available in the city.  He said that they would start looking for a building site when Sacrament meeting attendance averages 120 for four/five months.  We have difficulty fitting 90 people in the building now.  It is a vicious circle - we are too big for our building but can't get another one until we pack more in.  He understands.  There is some talk of remodeling the current church that we are leasing.

There were three baptisms that we weren't able to stay for as Pres. Caio had to hurry back to Gramado and then to Canois (near Porto Alegre) where District leaders were meeting with the Area Representative to discuss growth and process of becoming a stake.  I took pictures of the missionaries and those who were being baptized.  I put my hand in the font to check the water temperature - and it was "frio!"  An 80+ year old man was going to be baptized; I hope he doesn't catch pneumonia.  I made sure he had a towel ready to wrap around him before we left.  There is no hot water available in the church, and it would take forever to heat water on a stove to fill the font.  They need to do something. . .

It was unusual, but we arrived home before David and Ann today.  I started lunch (left over lasagna), crusty bread, and a salad.  David and Ann had choir practice in the evening, Merl continued to copy our Wizard language books. . . I had been cold most of the day so I drank some hot apple tea with honey, wrapped myself up in my Gaúcha cape, and napped a little.

Elder Cooper came by with Elder Oliveira to say good-bye.   We are sad to see him go, but his family in Utah will be glad to have him home again.  I sent him home with a bunny for his mother - one that I purchased at the Visitor's Center Artisan shop.

(Easter pictures are from a recent trip to Gramado.)



No comments:

Post a Comment