Mar 2, 2015

Catch up February 18-24

February 18-24

As is obvious, I have been behind on posts - due to four days at camp with no internet access - a day in Porto Alegre (Feb 19 - which will get its own post), a couple days of interrupted internet access, being busy, and a host of other excuses.  I will attempt to capture the highlights of the past days and then stay up-to-date. . .

February 18:
Merl and I unpacked, did laundry, and caught up on everything we had missed while we were at camp.  Merl and David went to a bank type facility (also a lottery purchase place) to pay the extension fee for our visas.  The line was long, extended out the doors and down the sidewalk.  Someone must have thought Merl looked out of place compared to everyone else, and was directed to the front - and to a second line (a special line for the deficient and elderly).  Getting older does have its perks here!  We went to SF de Paula for piano lessons and Integration.  Merl taught three lessons, and I taught four.  Some of the students were new, and most of the youth who came home from camp last night did not show up for lessons.  The Cat and Mouse tie game was a hit with the kids again tonight.  We arrived home about 11:00 p.m. and were ready to drop into bed.

February 19: 
Trip to Porto Alegre to apply for a visa extension.  I will do a separate post for this day.

February 20 Friday:
Center display in mini-mal
Friday morning always brings a trip to Gramado for the District Missionary meeting.  We enjoy meeting with the Elders and participating on a limited scale.  Sometimes we think that we could use our time more wisely and stay home (since we still don't understand a lot of the discussion), but we would miss the spirit and energy of these great young men.

After the meeting, we walked to our favorite bead emporium to purchase beads that Ann needed to make Primary necklaces.  We also found another fun shop with a few beads, beautiful laces, and embroidered towels inside a mini-mall.  We purchased a few items and walked to McDonalds for lunch. (Merl had a chicken sandwich, and the rest of us had salads. .  Merl must have had the camera because I found pictures of bird houses, flowering trees, and a living display inside the  mini-mall.

Frog in front of the bead store - we
saved it, put in the grass
Along our walk in the city, we ran into  Pres. Caio who addressed   Merl as 'the Boy Scout' from camp.  David was also stopped by a man named Victor Felix (retired Catholic priest) who likes to speak English.  We are frequently approached by people who notice that we are different; they just want to practice their English.  We also met Claudio from Novo Metropolis who asked us to come visit at his farm one day.  We stopped at the colonial bakery and purchased bread and paozinho, small rolls baked with cheese or sausage.  Delicious - I am a fan! Then back to Canela where Merl started to work on finances - transferring his information to his Nexis in the effort to decrease our competing for computer time.   

This evening was the first practice of the District Conference choir - so another bus ride to Gramado. District Conference is on March 7-8, and the choir will be singing Mestre, o Mar Se Revolta (Master, The Tempest is Raging) and Comigo Habita (Abide With Me).  Fortunately, I can play the piano in any language.  Rafael gave us a ride home; we arrived home at 10:00 p.m., had a light supper, and went to bed. 

February 21 Saturday:
David went to Gramado to meet Elder Floriani and Elder Cerrano for a visit with Jessica (previously baptized in Canela and moved to Gramado).  They have been teaching her younger  sister, Gabriela Gomez, and hoped to get her parents' permission for her to be baptized.  David said the father was reluctant to give permission because Gabriela was too young (8 yrs.).  After visiting and coming to common ground, he signed the papers.  Merl and I did laundry, studied, and purchased piano folders for our students.  Rained most of the day. A slow day, but much needed.

February 22 Sunday:
Merl and David had High Council meeting in Gramado at 7:00 a.m.  I caught the bus and rode to SF de Paula and found the doors open and a few people gathering.  I set up the teclado in the Primary room and waited for the leaders to show up as the children continued to come.  Fortunately, Meri (Stake Primary President) was attending, and she started the meeting.  Good thing because I was the only other adult.  I took 8 photos of new children for our bulletin board. Merl gave his talk in Sacrament meeting "Enduring to the End."  It was well received.  The missionaries had three baptisms; we had Branch counsel meeting; and we caught a ride hope with Siaonara.  Merl took a nap, and we went to Gramado for choir practice.  I discovered that I did not have my camera.  We searched and searched, but didn't find it.  I felt like my right-hand had been cut off! (Rained)

February 23 Monday:
Today we studied, had discussions and  brunch; Merl did the dishes and went to the bank to make a cash withdrawal.  Copas came over at 10:00 and shared videos of their son, Canyon (recently died in a skiing accident in Utah) and a recording of his brother's tribute from the funeral.  We had a lasagna lunch and a nice visit.  The Elders called to say they could not find my camera at the church, so I was contemplating going to town to purchase a new camera.  Late in the afternoon, they called again and said they found it in the chapel under a chair. .  no idea how it got there but so grateful to know that it is safe and sound.  To celebrate, Merl and I walked to town for sorvete  and met the missionaries eating sorvete cones - celebrating their P-day since they had met their goals.  We sat and visited until it was time for them to go  home; we then purchased David a cup of sorvete and walked home.  Ann didn't want any as she is sick in bed.  We Skyped with April on the White Shirt project.  (Rained most of the day)

February 24  Tuesday
Just like last week, Merl and I started working on our Portuguese lesson.  I emailed Camila to confirm our class time - we ended up cancelling our  class as Camila is swamped with new students and finding teachers (students coming back after the summer break).  We did a little grocery shopping and picked up some fresh produce from the fruiteria.  Ann is coming down with a bad cold.  I watched a man across the street meticulously washing down his motorcycle.  The whole process took a couple of hours.  We went to the church for Branch meetings and piano lessons - no shows since Marcos took his mother to the hospital and cancelled the meetings (just didn't let us know).

No comments:

Post a Comment