March 29 Sunday

After our late night, I felt sorry for Merl and David as they were on the bus to Gramado at 6:20 a.m. this morning. When I woke up, I almost panicked as I could see light coming through the blinds in our bedroom. I jumped out of bed and was relieved to see that it was only 7:05 a.m. - I have to leave for the bus to SF de Paul at 7:45. Just enough time. Fortunately, I had packed our small suitcase with shirts and ties to take to the church. I wasn't looking forward to pulling it up the hill and across the cobblestone streets. Shortly after getting to the bus station and purchasing my ticket, the bus arrived - and I am always happy when I see Merl on board. That means it was a short high council meeting this morning.

The bus trip was a little faster today - we were the first to arrive at the church at 8:50. We unlocked the doors, turned on the lights, opened some windows, and set up the teclado in the Primary room before anyone arrived. Then the first bus arrived. During Primary, Danubia had all the kids sit in a circle on the floor to talk about reverence. Issues here are eating in the chapel, running in and out to the bathroom multiple times, talking too much, and the boys wearing their baseball caps. It has been getting better, but still needs to be addressed. So today in Sacrament meeting, I approached four boys who still had their hats on. I smiled at them and held my hand out - they each willingly gave me their hats; I told them I would return them after the meeting.
Several of the young men were given shirts and ties before and after Sacrament meeting. They especially had fun picking out a tie that they liked - even if it was too big for them.

Merl was the main speaker in Sacrament meeting today.
(Merl):
Yes, yes, and during my talk, a car alarm went off and disrupted the spirit a bit. It was my spirit that was struggling a bit. By assignment, my talk was about the restoration, and I selected five doctrines that were restored to the earth through Joseph Smith. After the meeting, the Branch President's wife told me that my Portuguese pronunciation had improved since my first talk in January. Another brother told me he could understand me perfectly. So perhaps I am catching on somewhat. I still don't understand a lot of what people say. They talk way too fast for me to keep up, but I can pick out words now that I know.
The missionaries had one baptism today, the wife of the elderly man baptized last week. The water was so cold. . . I hugged a big towel trying to get it warm for her when she climbed out of the font. Brave but sweet people!! After the meeting, they immediately went out to catch the church transit bus to go home. Merl and I also decided to take a bus back to Canela today - no one would have to go out of their way to get us home. We even beat David and Ann home.


We had chicken noodle soup for lunch. Then we went our separate ways. Aristeu picked up David, Merl, and Ann to go to Gramado. . . Merl and David to a leadership meeting for Branch Presidencies and High Counselors. Ann went to give a piano lesson. I stayed home so I could go to the church to play for choir practice (in the absence of Ann and David). Ann usually plays, and David leads. After the meeting, David and Merl went hometeaching - Merl with Pres. Anderson, David with Aristeu. Merl is being given the opportunity to pray and bear his testimony in Portuguese quite frequently now.
(Merl):
Yes, the families like to call on the home teachers, especially those that don't speak Portuguese well, to say the prayer. President told me that, when he nods to me, I was to bear my testimony. Good thing I have written several short testimonies in my talks. I could remember some of the verbiage. Gets better each time.
When everyone was home, David reviewed the calendar for the rest of the month - meetings, dinner appointments, excursions. Looks like we are going to be very busy. . . better get to bed and get some rest!
No comments:
Post a Comment