March 15 Sunday
Merl and David were up early and out the door at 6:15 a.m. to go to Gramado for their High Council meeting. I was happy to see Merl waiting on the bus to SF de Paula when I boarded at 8:00 a.m.

When we arrived at the church, we found the doors locked and several people waiting. Soon a bus full of kids showed up. We got the windows opened and chairs moved to the right rooms (with the help of some of the young men. Merl set up the teclado in the Primary room so I could start some music.
While we waited in the Primary room, I had each of the children identify their picture on the bulletin board so I could write their name on it. I had them write their name in my book, I would then write it to confirm I new what it was (they write their letters different), and then I would write on their 'foot.' We still have lots of feet to identify! Eventually, the Primary President arrived and started the meeting.

A milestone today! Bruna played some of the songs in Sacrament meeting today. Granted, it was the melody with one hand, but we now have a few youth who will be able to have a little music in the meetings. Hopefully they will continue to learn by being tutored by other youth who might be just a step or two ahead.
Pres. Marcos held a short Branch Council meeting with one thing on his agenda. He said that every Sunday from now on there will be a council meeting at 8:30 a.m. - before church starts. He went around the room, calling each individual by name, to get their confirmation that they would be at the meeting. He got to us, and we said that the earliest we can be there is 8:55. The first bus to SF de Paula arrives at that time. We are short-timers here now, so we are not the important ones. We hope this is a step in the right direction.

Today the missionaries had five confirmations in Sacrament meeting and then five baptisms afterwards. As soon as the baptisms were over, we rushed to catch the bus back to Canela. We usually get a ride home with someone, but today we couldn't wait. We were having lunch with Pres. and Sis. Pavan and the Keller family.
 |
Merl, Lauren Keller, Teri Keller, David Keller, Sis. Pavan,
Pres. Pavan, Ann, David |
We arrived home at 2:00 p.m. in time to help Ann in the kitchen a little and then invite our guests to come join us in the kitchen. Kellers came with stuffed chickens. I expected a stuffing like what we have at home; instead it was stuffed with farofa meal and chicken heart. Farofa meal is fried manioc flour from the Aipin root. It is sprinkled on all kinds of meats here. Ann prepared mashed potatoes and gravy, green salad, fruit salad; the cornbread was also served and it was not burned (whew!).

After lunch we said good-bye to Pavans and Kellers. David and Ann went to Gramado for a piano lesson, and I finished cleaning up the kitchen. I then spent some time reading from the new book I bought at the Distribution Center - Stories of the Book of Mormon (in Portuguese). It is written for children, so I thought it might be more on my level with my new language.
 |
| Easter wreath on local gas station wall |
Random Easter related photos were taken on our way from the bus station to home after church today. Report is that Gramado has started decorating the city for Easter - really draws all the tourists. Canela is on a smaller scale, but Easter is coming!
No comments:
Post a Comment